Working with SOU Students
Employing students can be a rewarding experience and important opportunity for both the students and the teams they work with throughout campus. The Office of Career Connections is here to support SOU faculty and staff through this process from initial position conception to hiring and working with students year over year. Explore the resources below or connect with our team to make the process as rewarding and smooth as possible.
The PEAK Job Program is designed to provide Southern Oregon University students with on-campus employment opportunities that encourage rich relationships with faculty and staff, foster professional curiosity and competency, and engender a sense of substantive contribution to the SOU community. Employers are responsible for only 25% of a PEAK employee’s salary, with the University covering the remaining 75%.
To request continuation of a current PEAK position for the 2022-23 academic year, please complete the Existing PEAK Job Request Form.
To request a new PEAK position for the 2022-23 academic year, please complete the New PEAK Job Request Form.
The SOU Bridge Program supports roughly 100 historically under-represented first-year Oregon students as they transition into higher education. One way the program does this is by offering interested Bridge participants the opportunity to work at least five hours per week on campus, and more in some cases. These positions are completely funded by the Bridge Program, meaning there is no cost to participating employers. If you have work that might be suitable for a Bridge student, please complete this Bridge job request form, or contact the team by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Career Connections Presentations
The Office of Career Connections is available to support the efforts of all faculty and staff through a variety of professional development events. We are happy to lead presentations and workshops on topics like resume and cover letter creation, interviewing tips, job search strategies, and career exploration, or to work with you to offer something uniquely targeted to your specific student cohort. To learn more or request an event, please email email@example.com
For information related to hiring and employing students such as writing a position description, wage setting, and other frequently asked questions, visit SOU Human Resources’ Student Employment page.
Students will often ask their campus faculty and staff supervisors for letters of recommendation. Explore this resource (taken from University of Central Florida) for sample letters and general tips on writing a strong recommendation.